ENTRANCE Part glazed, Stable door to kitchen.
KITCHEN 9' 4" x 6' 3" ( 2.84m x 1.91m )
Double glazed window to front aspect. Two skylights. Exposed beams. Stable door to courtyard. Range of "Shaker style" wall and base units. Natural Travertine worksurfaces and walls. Butler sink with "swan neck" mixer tap. Space and plumbing for washing machine. Space for undercounter fridge and freezer. Built in electric oven Electric hob with extractor unit over. Timber flooring. (white goods can be included within sale if wished)
SITTING ROOM 17' 6" x 12' ( 5.33m x 3.66m) maximum into stair recess. Bath stone fireplace fitted with wood burner. Exposed floorboards with decorative painted borders and feature painted "Dieu et mon droit" Royal Coat Of Arms in front of fireplace. Understairs recess and cupboard. Stairs to first floor landing with feature carving at newel post. Wall uplighters. Radiator.
LANDING Double glazed window to rear aspect. Carpeted through from stairwell. Built in cupboard. Access to loftspace.
BEDROOM 11' 11" x 8' 11" (maximum) ( 3.63m x 2.72m (maximum) )
Double glazed window to rear aspect and also skylight windows to both front and rear. Exposed beams. Original cast iron fireplace with stone surround and timber mantel. Built in wardrobe Carpeted flooring. Radiator.
BATHROOM Skylight window to front aspect. Close coupled wc, wash hand basin inset to vanity cupboard and panelled bath with mixer tap and shower attachment. Radiator. Heated towel rail. Travertine tiles to wall. Exposed floorboards.
COURTYARD An enclosed courtyard with gated access. Accent lighting. Flower border. Access to front entrance door. Outside tap. PIR lighting. There is shared access to the neighbouring property.
HISTORY The cottage is located at what was once the site of Chippenham Wharf, the termination of the Canal.
Following the expansion of Chippenham in the late 18th century, in 1803 a wharf was built to accommodate growing industry. 1810 saw the opening of a canal which ran through the Town. This canal gave the Town access to the markets of Bristol and London, leading to the expansion of the cloth industry as coal could be brought in for the new steam factories that were being built. Coal delivery tonnages in 1838 show that Chippenham and Stanley were second only to Abingdon, receiving four times as much coal as Swindon - Chippenham ended up with this very important wharf. It is thought that the original wharf walls are still intact, buried under the tarmac of the bus station. Historic photos are included on this marketing for interest purposes.